For the last two weeks at Edmonton's Rio Terrace School, I worked with 350 students as artist-in-residence. To help mark Rio's 50th anniversary, each student produced a series of sketches culminating in a piece of art. What a talented group of kids! Here is some of the work we did together.
1. Owls (the Rio Terrace Mascot) as drawn by French and German Kindergarten students.
2. An Alphabet of Rio Terrace as drawn by French Grade 1 students.
3. Teachers asked me to share some tips on drawing bodies, so I showed everyone how to draw a stick skeleton to figure out body position.
4. I drew a stick skeleton, then I added clothes, skin and hair outlines to make an Action Self-Portrait.
5. Stick skeleton plus Action Self-Portrait sketches by German Grade 1/2 and French Grade 2.
6. Action Self-Portraits by German Grade 2 and French Grade 2.
Students made self-portraits as they would look in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.
Pictures above and below by Rio Terrace Grades 3, 4, 5 and 6 students.
Thank you to all the wonderful kids and grown-ups at Rio Terrace who made my stay so fun. Merci et Danke!